May 03, 2022
It doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor if you need to cash a check. What if we told you that there are free alternatives available to you? You read that correctly! There are quite a few free places around the country where you can currently cash checks for free. Here are just a few of the many options for cashing a check without a bank account:
1. Check Cashing Stores: These businesses exist solely to cash checks for a fee. You can usually find them in strip malls or shopping centers.
2. Retailers: Many retailers, such as grocery stores and department stores, will cash checks for customers.
3. Credit Unions: If you belong to a credit union, you may be able to cash your check there.
4. Friends or Family: Sometimes, the easiest way to cash a check is to ask a friend or family member to do it for you.
5. Online Check Cashing Services: Many companies will cash your check online and deposit the money into your bank account or send it to you via PayPal or another method.
6. Walmart. They offer to check cashing services on Sundays from 9 pm until 11 pm and on Mondays through Fridays from 10 am until 7 pm. You will want to make sure your check meets their guidelines before going in!
10. CVS. CVS offers to check cashing services on Saturdays from 8 am until 2 pm and on Sundays from 8 am until 12:30 pm. You will want to make sure that your check meets the guidelines of the specific location.
11. 7-Eleven. The last place we came across was 7-Eleven! They offer to check cashing services on Saturdays from 10 am until 3 pm, and Sundays from 10 am until NOON. You will need to meet certain guidelines before making your way in.
12. Apps. Another way to beat the fee-driven check cashing is by using an app like Acorns that automatically invests your spare change into low-fee index funds. If you have an account with Schwab, Square Cash will enable you to buy and sell stocks without fees or commissions. They will waive their $2 convenience fee if you deposit enough of your paycheck directly into your account. You can do the same at Charles Schwab Bank.
13. Credit Card: Another free option is to get a credit card. For example, the Green Dot public service debit card allows you to spend $500 a month anywhere Mastercard is accepted after spending $1,000 within three months. Two additional features may be quite helpful: You can cancel your pre-existing line of credit and earn 1% cashback on all purchases. You can set up autopay which will automatically draft money from your account each month. If you want to pay off your balance in full each month with any purchase over $5, enter "5" for the payment value instead of an amount when using this card. You can also convert your balance to a gift card, which provides another way to put your money to work.
14. Borrowell Card. Another option you have is the Borrowell Card. This card is issued by Borrowell, a peer-to-peer lending company that has partnered with many credit unions that allow you to earn up to 3% cash back on purchases as long as you don't make more than five withdrawals per month.
15. MyLoanManager.com. Finally, check out MyLoanManager.com, where you can locate a lender in your area and get the best rates while funding the loan with stellar interest rates! The good news is that the interest rates offered by MyLoanManager are 0% APR for 24 months or less.
To find a bank or credit union that will cash your check for free, you can search online or ask for recommendations. Once you've found a few options, you can call or visit the bank's website to see if they offer to check cashing services and their requirements.
You can also access these options by signing up for a credit card. Just check out Air France's credit card to earn up to two miles per dollar on every purchase that isn't travel-related and also earn 3,000 bonus Aeroplan miles when you spend $1,000 in your first three months as a new Air France British Airways Visa Signature cardholder. By getting just one credit card, you could be earning your own free money!
Whichever method you choose, cashing a check without a bank account is easy and convenient. Just be sure to compare fees and services before you select a provider.